In honor of Love Thursday, and nothing else except the fact that he is a cutie, smoozie, woozie (aheh, do you think we really talk like that?!?) – today’s post is dedicated to Peppino Mio.
The Top Five Reasons my Cutie Smoozie Woozie
(I just had to say it one more time!)
is a Keeper!
5. He spoils me rotten. Breakfast in bed at least three times a week…this doesn’t even NEED an explanation!
4. He is nice to old, I mean, ur, old’er people, little kids, and animals. I think this speaks wonders about a person’s character. He gives up his seat to old’er ladies and has unlimited patience with the sick and aging. He can play with kids without tiring, or sit for hours and talk to older family members.
3. He is different than the Southern Italian stereotype macho man. The stereotype-guy doesn’t know how to cook or clean or untie Mamma’s apron stings. Not so much the case with my Peppino. He actually cleans more than I do and is a wiz in the cucina. I have to knock him out of the way so I can learn. Not a bad problem to have, is it girls?
2. He respects our different cultures. When I said Sognatice was the only other American I knew near Catanzaro, that wasn’t completely true. There is another American woman who is married to an Italian friend of Peppe’s dad. She has lived most of her life in Italy, had two or three kids, all of whom live in Italy, and rarely, if ever, returns to the US. She mis-pronounces English words and asks me about American traditions. I don’t want to become that. I love America and I am proud (most of the time) of my country. And, so is Peppe. We love each other’s differences, and even though we live in Italy, we incorporate both of our traditions and cultures into our daily life. He would never want me to give that up.
1. He’s not ashamed of being in love. You know those guys who “love you, love you, love you” when you are alone with them, but won’t even touch you when they are near their friends. Well, this ‘ain’t’ Peppe. He is not the overly-affectionate PDA-type, but a perfect balance of the two.
Here’s hoping the rest of you have, or are found by, someone as wonderful!