Did you know the Italian word “tiramisu” translates as “pick me up?” Well, it does and that is exactly what this coffee-free summer version does. This refreshing dessert is ideal for those dog days of summer, and in fact I’m going to make it this week, with strawberries and blueberries to celebrate America’s Independence Day.
Without further ado …
>> 4 eggs
>> Mascarpone (500 grams / 17 ounces)
>> Whipping cream (250 grams / 8.5 ounces)
>> Sugar (120 grams / 0.5 cup)
>> Vanilla extract (one bustina / 1 tablespoon)
>> Brandy (2 tablespoons)
>> Fresh strawberries (600 grams / 2.5 cups)
>> Savoiardi (sponge cookies) (250 grams/ 8.5 ounces)
>> Milk (250 ml / 1 cup)
>> Strega liquor (2 tablespoons)
1. In a blender, combine milk, half of the strawberries and strega. Blend until smooth.
2. Mix four egg yolks (save two of the egg whites to use later), sugar and vanilla extract and beat until peaks form.
3. Mix in the mascarpone and continue to beat.
4. Add whipping cream and beat until it is nice and fluffy.
5. Add brandy and continue to mix.
6. In another mixing bowl, beat two egg whites until they form peaks and add it to the mascarpone mix.
7. Spread a layer of the mascarpone mix onto the bottom of your container.
8. Generously soak the cookies in the milk and strawberry mix.
9. Place a layer of cookies over the cream.
10. Cover with another layer of cream and add a layer of sliced strawberries.
11. Add another layer of cookies and a final layer of cream.
12. Decorate the top with sliced strawberries.
13. Cover and refrigerate at least 24 hours prior to serving.