You know you are loved when you visit a home in Calabria and are served a generous helping of homemade lasagna. For many Calabrians, lasagna is a special meal and in the busy world we live in today-yes, even here in Calabria-it is hard to find time to prepare this dish the way you should.
I remember being served lasagna by just about every new in-law I met and while some were decidedly better than others-gulp … I’ve discussed this!-they all had that special je ne sais quoi that made them uniquely Calabrian.
Over the last few years, my husband and I have worked diligently to perfect our Calabrian lasagna recipe and we’re gonna share it with you today.
>> 1 pound lasagna
>> 4 cups of tomato sauce
>> 1 cup of grated Pecorino cheese
>> 1/2 cup of cubed Provola cheese
>> 4 eggs, hard-boiled
>> 1/2 pound, Proscuitto cotto (cooked ham)
>> Homemade besciamella
>> Bolognese sauce
2. Heat the tomato sauce and add salt, as needed to give it flavor.
3. Grease your baking pan with butter and add a layer of tomato sauce.
4. Add a layer of lasagna, cover with besciamella, then bolognese.
5. Cover with half of the Pecorino.
6. Add another layer of lasagna-in the opposite direction from the first layer-then cover with the provola, ham and eggs.
7. Add the final layer of lasagna and cover it with besciamella, tomato sauce and the remaining Pecorino.
8. Bake on 400° for 30 minutes.
Have you ever had Calabrian lasagna? What did you think?
Traveling to southern Italy? Click here to see how I can help you plan the trip of a lifetime.