Land and Sea
This 8-day trip through southern Calabria and Sicily’s Aeolian Islands will show you Calabria’s intimate mountain villages and enchanting seas.
* This itinerary can be modified to fit your individual travel plans and preferences-email us today with questions.
Southern Italy Land and Sea: Calabria and the Aeolian Islands
8 days on Calabria’s mainland and Sicily’s Aeolian Islands
– You’ll arrive at Lamezia Terme and transfer to your farm house agriturismo, located in the heart of the Serre Mountains. You’ll have a welcome drink when you arrive and have a chance to settle into your room.
– Dinner and overnight at the agriturismo.
– After breakfast, you will visit the nearby Charterhouse of Saint Bruno. You’ll tour the monastery museum and visit the “Lake of Miracles.”
– You’ll have lunch of delicious porcini mushrooms before exploring the historical center of town. Return to agriturismo. Dinner and overnight near Serra San Bruno.
– Today you will head toward the Ionian Sea for a visit to one of Italy’s best preserved medieval villages – Gerace!
– After touring this pristine town, you’ll have lunch and wine-pairing at one of our favorite trattorias. You can visit the ancient Magna Graecia ruins of Locri in the afternoon. Return to your agriturismo. Dinner and overnight near Serra San Bruno.
– This morning you will check out of your agriturismo and head to southern Calabria’s Tyrrhenian Coast. You’ll detour for a much-merited visit to Pizzo Calabro where you will tour the Chiesetta di Piedigrotta cave church and taste the town’s famous chocolate and hazelnut gelato truffles.
– Then, it is on to enchanting Scilla, where you’ll visit the fisherman’s neighborhood of Chianalea and have a fabulous lunch overlooking the sea.
– In the late afternoon, you will continue to your B&B resort, located near Reggio Calabria. Overnight near Reggio Calabria.
– You’ll have breakfast at your B&B, then set out for your morning departure to the stunning Aeolian Islands!
– Your home for the next three days and two nights is The Muse – a 45 foot pleasure craft that sleeps up to six people. During this private tour, you’ll have a double room and private washroom on board and will be lead by licensed skipper and Calabrian native, Pietro and his beautiful wife, Ashley.
– After a 1.5 hour trip, you’ll drop anchor near the Pumice factory on Lipari.
– You’ll have your first chance to swim in these beautiful aqua marine waters that have a pumice rock sea bottom, then have a light lunch on board and a relaxing afternoon at sea.
– In the late afternoon, you will head to the Port of Lipari where you’ll dock for the night. You’ll head on to the island and have a traditional dinner, followed by a walk on the island’s busy corso. Overnight on The Muse.
– You’ll spend the morning discovering Lipari, complete with a traditional Sicilian breakfast of granita and brioche in one of our favorite local bars. After breakfast, you can either choose to visit the medieval castle and museums by foot or you can tour the island on a scooter!
– Just before lunch, you will head out to your next island – Salina! Along the way, you’ll have lunch on board and stop in beautiful bays, such as Pollara where the Il Postino was filmed.
– In the afternoon you can relax, snorkel, float and swim off of the boat. In the late afternoon, you will arrive at the Port of Salina and prepare for your on-board dinner using local ingredients, such as red shrimp and zucchini. After dinner, you’ll have time to stroll the main street of Salina. Overnight on The Muse.
– You’ll have breakfast, then have an opportunity to tour the salt flats on the island. After a relaxing morning, you’ll have lunch at a local restaurant that is famous for its pane cunzato – large bruschetta made with island ingredients.
After lunch, you will head to Stromboli passing in front of the sciara del fuoco where you can see the smoke from the volcano. You’ll arrive at Stromboli and enjoy a walking tour of the island, complete with a hike up a narrow cobblestone street, where you are rewarded with amazing views of the sea and nearby Strombolicchio.
You’ll enjoy an afternoon granita on a panoramic terrace before walking back to the marina. In the late afternoon you’ll say goodbye to these unforgettable Islands and sail back to Calabria.
Once on the mainland, you’ll return to your B&B resort outside of Reggio Calabria. Overnight near Reggio Calabria.
– After breakfast, you’ll transfer to the airport for your flight home!
– Private tour – giving you access to bilingual guides and a flexible schedule, while still allowing for private “on your own” time.
– 3-day, 2-night private boating experience
– Unique experiences, local food and authentic cultural immersion
Price is per-person based on double occupancy and is subject to change based on season and availability. Your price will be confirmed and locked in upon receipt of your deposit.
€2350 per person
– Transportation to/from Calabria
– Meals, drinks and snacks not listed as “included” above
– Transportation not listed as “included” above
– Personal shopping
– Laundry services
– Other items not specifically listed as “included”