This 5-day exploration of central Calabria is designed with families in mind.
We’ve allowed plenty of time to enjoy Calabria’s beaches time, while including visits to ancient fortresses and caves.
There are homemade food excursions, opportunities for award-winning gelato, private cultural experiences and more.
* This itinerary can be modified to fit your individual travel plans and preferences-email us today with questions.
Family Fun in Central Calabria
5-Day Family Vacation in Calabria
– You will arrive at the Lamezia Terme International Airport, pick up your rental car and transfer to an agriturismo near the Ionian Sea. You’ll meet the owners and get a chance to explore the grounds, visit the pool, pick fruit from their gardens or just relax. You’ll have welcome drinks and a light dinner at your agriturismo. Overnight near Catanzaro.
– After breakfast, our friends Miriam and Domenico will meet you at your agriturismo for a visit to their mulberry farm. You’ll get a hands-on experience at extracting silk and kids will get the chance to help care for the silkworms.
After walking through the orchard and picking fruit, you’ll have a homemade lunch beneath a centuries-old pine. In the afternoon you will visit a nearby medieval village for a look inside their fortress and a visit to local pottery shops. Dinner on your own. Overnight near Catanzaro.
– After breakfast, you’ll head two miles to the coast where you’ll meet Captain Rino for a morning sailing excursion along the Ionian Sea. You’ll have a chance to snorkel and swim in his favorite “secret” spots and will enjoy light snacks and drinks on board. You’ll have the afternoon on your own at one of Calabria’s best-kept secret beaches – a true local’s favorite! Dinner on your own. Overnight near Catanzaro.
– You’ll have breakfast, then will head out on your own to a nearby fishing village for a visit to the 15th Century Chiesetta di Piedigrotta – a cave church built entirely out of tufa limestone. You’ll can choose to either find a private cove for some family beach time or you can explore the historical center and Murat Castle. You’ll have time for lunch and chocolate gelato truffles in the main piazza. Return to Catanzaro. Dinner on your own. Overnight near Catanzaro.
– You’ll enjoy your final breakfast in Calabria, then drive to the Lamezia Terme International Airport where you’ll drop off your rental car and say arrivederci to Calabria.
– Although this is a self-drive itinerary, there are no excessive driving distances, thus maximizing the time you’ll spend on the ground in each area.
– Exploration of one of southern Italy’s least touristy beaches
– Culinary aspects: farm stay, home-cooked meal, variety of recommendations for on-your-own time
– Kid-friendly highlights: medieval villages, castles, animals, caves, swimming and beaches
Price is per-person based on a family of two adults and two children (5+) and is subject to change based on your family size, season and availability. Your price will be confirmed and locked in upon receipt of your deposit.
€600 per person, based on a family of four with two children aged 5+
– Gas and additional insurance for rental car; taxis
– Meals, drinks and snacks not listed as “included” above
– Hotel upgrades
– Personal shopping
– Laundry services
– Other items not specifically listed as “included”