Calabria was the heart of ancient Magna Graecia before being conquered by the Romans, Goths, Byzantines and Normans (to name a few). In this full-day tour of Squillace, the past and present will intertwine as you …
– visit the Greek and Roman ruins of the original Scolacium
– see the home of Goth advisor, Cassiodoro
– are granted access into the rarely-opened Byzantine-Norman Castle and Templar Church
– go behind-the-scenes for a private pottery-making demonstration
– meet the local artisans who are maintaining Squillace’s famous terra cotta tradition
– paint your own terra cotta souvenir and learn about the various techniques used in the village today
– dine on Calabrese specialties at a family-owned restaurant that is run by a young chef and his energetic wife
– sample uniquely-flavored digestive liquors at a family-owned production in the heart of town
– Full day guided tour of Squillace
– Pottery-making demonstration
– Terra cotta painting tips and souvenir
– Full Calabrese lunch, including wine, coffee and dessert
– Tour and tasting of a local digestive liquor production
– Entrance fees
– Water and light snacks
Price: €166 per person, based on two travelers. Please inquire about pricing for larger groups.
Read more about Squillace here.
Contact me for details and booking.