This Sea and Mountain trip through Northern Calabria will lead you from the warm, tranquil waters of the Tyrrhenian Coast, through the Pollino Mountains, to Europe’s deepest gorge and across the baby blue waters of the Ionian Sea.
* This itinerary can be modified to fit your individual travel plans and preferences-email us today with questions.
Northern Calabria Between the Seas
10-Day Mountain and Sea Visit to Calabria
– You will arrive at the Lamezia Terme International Airport, pick up your rental car and drive north along the Riviera dei Cedri, to Cirella where you will check into your working farmhouse hotel. You can spend the evening harvesting fruit from the farm’s plantation.
– After breakfast at your hotel, you will drive a few miles south to nearby Diamante, The Pearl of the Tyrrhenian, famous for its murals and peperoncini chili peppers. There you will explore the historical center and walk among the hand-painted murals at your leisure. You can choose to have lunch in town.
– In the evening, you can explore the nearby Norman ruins.
– After breakfast on your hotel’s terrace, you will say goodbye to the Tyrrhenian Sea and drive north into the Pollino Mountains and into one of Italy’s “100 Most Beautiful Villages.”
– There, you will check into your mountain chalet and enjoy a traditional Calabrese feast at one of our favorite family-owned farms in Calabria.
– You can spend the afternoon exploring the village’s Medieval center, Norman castle and Gothic churches. You will have dinner at your leisure.
– After breakfast, you will join your guide for a morning excursion to Europe’s deepest gorge. Depending on the weather and season, you can either take a jeep tour down to the “gola” or you can walk to the Devil’s Bridge that crosses the water.
– You can have lunch in the Albanian village of Civita, then spend the evening visiting the town’s Byzantine church, Arberesh museum and Devil’s Bridge.
– You will have breakfast, then set out with your guide for a day trip to the Ionian Sea. Your first stop is at one of the world’s oldest family-run businesses, a local licorice factory, where you will have a tour and tastings at the factory and museum.
– You will stop for lunch at one of our favorite trattorias in the region, then will continue to nearby Sibari-one of Magna Graecia’s oldest village whose citizens are thought to have invented “la dolce vita.” You’ll have a tour of the ruins and, if you like, a visit to the museum.
– In the evening you will return to the mountains.
-You will have your final breakfast in the Pollino Mountains, then head back to the Ionian Sea where you will check into a luxury B&B in the historical center of a pretty medieval town that is still surrounded by its protective stone walls.
– You can have lunch in town and visit the area’s interesting churches, towers, streets and piazzas.
– After breakfast at your hotel, you will drive south to Calabria’s most famous wine region where will you tour a family-owned vineyard and sample some of the region’s finest wines.
– In the afternoon, you will return to your B&B.
– After breakfast, you will check out of your B&B and head to a family-owned agriturismo near La Sila Mountains, located in one of Calabria’s most picturesque towns. You will have the opportunity to explore the town’s castle or you can visit the nearby mountains.
– After breakfast at your hotel, you will drive south to one of Europe’s largest protected Marine areas, where, weather-permitting you can enjoy a boating excursion or light swim.
– You can have a leisurely seafood lunch overlooking one of Calabria’s most beloved castles.
– In the early evening, you can explore the castle or drive to the ruins of a nearby Greek temple.
– Enjoy your final breakfast in Calabria, then drive to the Lamezia Terme International Airport.
– Drop off your rental car and say arrivederci to Calabria’s mountains and seas.
– Although this is a self-drive itinerary, there are no excessive driving distances, thus maximizing the time you’ll spend on the ground in each area.
– A variety of mountain dishes and fresh seafood from both coasts.
– Culinary aspects: wine-tasting, licorice visit and farm stays.
– Cultural aspects: ancient Magna Graecia, two national parks, Albanian village, Europe’s deepest gorge, medieval villages.
Price is per-person based on double occupancy and is subject to change based on season and availability. Your price will be confirmed and locked in upon receipt of your deposit.
€1282 per person
– Rental car and gas
– Meals, drinks and snacks not listed as “included” above
– Hotel upgrades
– Personal shopping
– Laundry services
– Possible hotel city tax
– Other items not specifically listed as “included”