This 10-day trip through central and southern Calabria will introduce you to the region’s diverse culinary history while showcasing the area’s lush mountains and sparkling seas.
* This itinerary can be modified to fit your individual travel plans and preferences-email us today with questions.
Authentic Calabria: Food, Mountains and Seas
10-Day Exploration of Calabria’s Food, Mountains and Seas
– You will arrive in Lamezia Terme, pick up your rental car and drive to Calabria’s Ionian coast. You will check into your seaside hotel and have a chance to rest or explore the neighborhood.
– In the evening, you will enjoy a Wine-Tasting Dinner at a trendy new wine bar.
– After breakfast, you will push up your sleeves for a Hands-on Cooking Class with a local family.You will enjoy local aperitivi snacks and wine while learning to master homemade Calabrese specialties, then you will feast on your creations.
– Time and energy-permitting, you can walk off your lunch at the nearby Greek and Roman ruins.
– You will have breakfast, then visit a nearby castle that is tied to the mythological Calypso in Homer’s The Odyssey. You can have either swim or snorkel near the castle or explore the ruins. You can choose to have lunch in the small town.
– This morning, you will head out for an excursion into La Sila Mountains and a typical Calabrese Picnic Feast, complete with homemade Calabrian specialties and local wine. In the afternoon, you will return to your hotel.
– After breakfast, you will drive south approximately two hours to one of Italy’s best preserved medieval villages. On the way you can stop in Stilo, home of the 10th century Greek-Byzantine La Cattolica, located near the Serre Mountains. You will continue to your B&B and have the opportunity to explore the town.
– You’ll have a light breakfast, then mid-morning, you will enjoy a second Hands-on Cooking Class and wine-pairing with the B&B owner who is also a professional sommelier. After the class you will dine on your masterpieces al fresco (weather-permitting).
– This morning you can explore the Locride by visiting the archaeological park in Locri or stopping by the Villa Romana (dating from the 1st century; home of Calabria’s largest collection of ancient mosaics).
– You will have breakfast, then drive across the region to the Tryhennian Sea where you will check into a luxury B&B in the historical center of Tropea. You can spend the day exploring the dramatic cliff-side town.
– After breakfast you can visit the beach or shop in the small shops in the historical center. In the afternoon, you will enjoy your final Cooking Class and Farewell Feast at a local farm.
– You will have breakfast, then drive to Lamezia to return to your rental car. Ciao Calabria!
– Although this is a self-drive itinerary, there are no excessive driving distances, thus maximizing the time you’ll spend on the ground in each area.
– Slow-to-moderate pace
– Culinary aspects: three hands-on cooking classes, wine-tasting, local picnic, variety of mountain and sea dishes
– Cultural aspects: ancient Magna Graecia, two mountain ranges, medieval villages, ancient mosaics, seaside city life
Price is per-person based on double occupancy and is subject to change based on season and availability. Your price will be confirmed and locked in upon receipt of your deposit.
€1765 per person
– Rental car and gas
– Meals, drinks and snacks not listed as “included” above
– Transportation, including to/from cooking classes and excursions
– Hotel upgrades
– Personal shopping
– Laundry services
– Possible hotel city tax
– Other items not specifically listed as “included”
Contact me today for more information.