Potato gnocchi become good old-fashioned Calabrian comfort food when you use potatoes from La Sila mountains or eat them with a hearty tomato and Calabrian sausage sauce.
We’ll get to that sausage recipe soon enough, but for now here is the recipe for the homemade potato gnocchi.
>> 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
>> 1 pound potatoes
>> 1 egg
1. Wash and peel potatoes and boil them in salted water for about 20 minutes.
2. Remove from heat. When they are cool, mash them and place them on a floured surface.
3. Add a pinch of salt and the flour and knead the potato and flour mixture until it is firm, yet soft.
4. Add the egg and continue to knead the dough until there are no lumps.
5. Divide the dough into 2-3 cm-thick strips.
6. Cut the gnocchi from these strips, lightly roll each ball in flour and then use a fork to create an indention (see photo above).
7. Place the gnocchi on a floured surface.
8. Let them sit for 15 minutes.
9. Boil them in salted water until they rise to the top.
Serve with a spicy tomato sauce like we did (below) or with your favorite Italian sauce.
Have you ever had gnocchi? What is your favorite way to eat them?