There is nothing like a good homemade Bolognese sauce in the winter months to stick to your ribs and warm you up from the blistery weather outside.
Yes, even in Calabria things get cold, and this Bolognese sauce is one of our old standbys. It’s Italian comfort food for the soul and when added to fresh fettuccine and topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese … life just doesn’t get much better.
>> 3 tablespoons butter
>> 3 tablespoons olive oil
>> 1 bouillon cube per 1/2 cup of water
>> 1 pound lean ground beef
>> 1/2 onion, finely chopped
>> 1 small carrot, finely chopped
>> 1 large jar of tomato sauce
>> 1/2 cup red wine
>> 1/2 cup milk
1. In a small pot, boil 1/2 cup of water and add the bouillon cube.
2. In a separate pan, combine olive oil and butter and lightly stir until butter melts.
3. Saute the carrot and onion, then add the meat.
4. When meat is brown add the red wine.
5. Cook the meat sauce over low heat until the red wine evaporates.
6. Add 2/3 of the boiling water and the tomato sauce.
7. Cook over low heat for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Add the rest of the hot water and continue to cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
9. Lightly salt the meat sauce, if needed, and add milk.
10. Heat thoroughly and serve!