You are right. I know what you are going to say and you are right … “but you live in Italy!!!”
I know. Again … you are right.
But still, the grass is always greener or you want you can’t have or maybe 30 years or so in one place will do that to a person …
So, beat me now (50 lashes with a wet noodle, my dad used to say!) but we do. We miss stuff from home.
A few weeks ago I posted about the top five things American expats in Italy bring from home and Michelle recently reported on how to make an American expat in Italy happy.
And it got me thinking. If life is nothing more than a series of experiences determined by our choices, then what experiences are us expats missing by choosing to live in Italy?
So I asked.
I emailed a group of my faithful Italophiles with the question … and here is what they said.
* One word, two hyphens … Chick-fil-A
* Going to the movie theater and understanding every word
* Eating at Taco Bell, The Cheesecake Factory, Benihana, Johnny Rocket and Souplantation
* Shopping for groceries at any hour of the day and 24-hour pharmacies (there was even a nostalgic shout-out to CVS, if anyone is interested!)
* Having Sunday brunch in “one of those uberbitchy places in Soho,” Brooklyn and the West Village, as well as NYC bodegas and getting the Sunday Times on Saturday night
* Browsing in discount stores – where clothes fit – such as Ross, TJ Maxx and Marshalls
* Enjoying an over-sized cup of American coffee and “not the watered-down espresso they call ‘caffe americano'”
* Going to summer BBQs
* Talking about work over an end-of-the-day cocktail with friends
Not surprisingly, spending an afternoon in the bookstore or library was high on the list, as was eating at ethnic restaurants and shopping at one-stop shops like Walmart and Target.
Well, man, am I lucky! I get to go home a few times a year and experience the best of both worlds. And you better believe there are things we’d miss about Italy, too.
So, in honor of next week’s Settimana dell’ Amore (Love Week) I’d like to know what you love most about Italy.
See that new survey in the side column over there? See it? It is on the left … look up!
Click the survey link and let me know what you think. Then come back on Monday, February 16 for the results.
Buon Weekend … and enjoy that survey!