See that tree? It has been standing just outside my house since long before this house was my house. And see that fruit?
Here’s a closeup.
Do you know what those are?
They are persimmons or as we say in Italian – cachi.
The precarious fruit arrives in late September and for many a kaki lover, doesn’t last long enough.
But there is a method to selecting and eating persimmons that is downright vital knowledge, ‘less you want a chalk-infused bitter-obsessed army to assault your taste buds and leave your mouth puckered up begging for a drop of aqua.
Not so much?
Remember, the softer … no, the mushier the persimmon the sweeter it will be. So choose carefully!
I’ve found two acceptable ways to eat a persimmon that maximize pulp and minimize funk.
1. Slice off the top of the persimmon and peel the fruit.
2. Eat it like an apple aka… with your hands, but be sure not to bite into the persimmon too deeply. The middle core is nasty! And you don’t want to touch that stuff with your tongue. Trust me!
Think that method is too messy for you? It is for me. Here is a cleaner, more precise way to eat a persimmon.
1. Slice off and discard the top of the persimmon.
2. Inside you will see a dark yellow-orange core. Use a knife or small spoon to scoop it out. THIS is the part that is unpalatable.
3. Use a small spoon to eat the pulp, but be sure not to eat any of the outer peeling.
In addition to the sweet scent and candy-like flavor, persimmons have many added health benefits.
According to Wikipedia the Free Encyclopedia:
- In traditional Chinese medicine the fruit regulates ch’i.
- The raw fruit is used to treat constipation and hemorrhoids, and to stop bleeding. As such, it is not a good idea to consume too many persimmons at once- they can induce diarrhea.
- The cooked fruit is used to treat diarrhea and dysentery
You know. It never hurts to be careful.
So get out there and find you some cachi before the season ends. And if you are heading to Catanzaro -stop by our bed and breakfast. We give ’em out to our guests for free!
Have you ever had persimmons? What did you think? Have you tried the untouchable core and lived to tell about it?
Happy Love Thursday!