There is nothing like homemade macaroni and cheese to turn a bad day around, and this recipe, complete with spicy red peppers and cherry tomatoes kicks this comfort food to a whole new level.
I first started making homemade macaroni and cheese a few years ago after my Bleeding Espresso buddy shared her mamma’s recipe with me.
Like Michelle, I like to play around with ingredients … and this is my new specialty!
>> 1/2 pound fusilli pasta (you can substitute any thick pasta, such as penne, macaroni, farfalle, etc.)
>> 1/2 cup, skim milk
>> 1 1/2-2 cups Provola cheese, cubed (again, you can play around with the amount and types of cheese you use, but provola is a staple at casa nostra!)
>> 8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
>> 2 small spicy red chili peppers, cut into small pieces
>> olive oil
1. Cook pasta in salted water until it is very al dente.
2. While pasta is cooking, saute tomatoes, garlic and chili peppers in olive oil. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Drain pasta and return to pot.
4. Stir in milk and cheese. Cook over low heat and continue stirring, ensuring cheese doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
5. When cheese is fully melted, add tomato and pepper mixture and lightly stir.
6. Serve and enjoy.