One year ago today I embarked on my Italian adventure. Well, actually, one year ago yesterday I “embarked”, but one year ago today I arrived! It is unbelievable a full year has passed, although thanks to the slow-paced bureaucracy of the Bel Paese, I’ve only spent 6 months “inside” the country.
Regardless, I think now is a good time to reflect on this year, and since it is Love Thursday I can only think “good” thoughts.
5. Speaking of a good ‘ole passeggiata, I love those, too! People here just go out for a stroll…often! Aside from cardio-style jaunts, walking is practically unheard of in Southeast Texas, so I enjoy walking along the path in front of our house, or going to the beach and walking along the boardwalk. It is nice and calm, and such a relaxing way to spend an afternoon.
4. The coffee. No more of that flavored water for me, no thank you! I am pretty sure I am growing hair on my chest as we speak (now isn’t that a pretty thought???) I also really love going to this coffee bar near here where, although I was never a big fan of the show, everybody does seem to “know your name”, or at least they smile a lot!
3. While we are on the topic of drinks – limoncello! How did I live without it so long? Peppe and I tried our hand at homemade creme limoncello a few weeks back…it was not successful. But, here’s to a second attempt!
2. Reading books! Although the availability of English-language reading material is non-existent in Calabria I am basking in the amount of “free time” I have to read. I stocked up at the Half-Price Bookstore on my last Texas vacation, and Michelle and I have established a free-trade agreement in the book department, so, if I pace myself I should be able to make it through the summer!
1. Entering the blogosphere and meeting all of you wonderful folks. I realize this sounds super-cheesy, but you have helped me begin this transition with your thoughts, your words, your support. I am eternally grateful…grazie mille!
* I originally planned to write The Five Things I Love Most About Italy, but after I finished, and reread my post, I realized I had written two number “3”s, and really, who am I to choose??
Happy Love Thursday everyone!